FXB is an international development organization with a 28-year history of breaking the cycle of poverty. Present in 13 countries with a staff of 450 collaborators, FXB’s mission is to help the poorest of the poor escape poverty and establish sustainable livelihoods that give them hope and dignity.
Since 1989, 17 million adults and children have benefitted from FXB’s community development, infrastructure rehabilitation, education, HIV/AIDS and other diseases prevention, awareness and access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in over 20 countries. FXB has four pillars of intervention: Community Development Program FXBVillage, health, education, and women’s and children’s protection.
- The Community Development Program FXBVillage helps families permanently escape extreme poverty by addressing five interconnected drivers of poverty: nutrition, health, education, housing, and economic empowerment. FXB has developed 172 FXBVillage programs, pioneering and integrated interventions, across nine countries – Burundi, China, Colombia, DRC, India, Mongolia, Rwanda, Thailand and Uganda – helping more than 84,000 people out of extreme poverty.
- Education: Education component of the FXBVillage program; life skills development and vocational training projects, in India, Myanmar and South Africa.
- Health: Health component of the FXBVillage program; HIV/AIDS related programs in India and Myanmar, and WASH programs in Niger, India, Rwanda and Uganda.
- Women’s and Children’s Protection: Our protection programs aim to prevent and reduce all forms of violence and insecurity, ensuring a safe, secure and protective environment for children and women within its intervention geography. FXB also promotes women’s empowerment and gender equality as key factors to fighting poverty. FXB implements protection programs in Myanmar, India, Rwanda and South Africa.
FXB Country Offices are led exclusively by local staff and are locally registered community-based organizations. FXB headquarters in Geneva, New York, and Paris work closely with the field staff to build their capacities in areas such as administration, finance, fundraising, monitoring and evaluation, and communication.
FXB USA currently supports FXB’s global mission by:
- Raising awareness about the importance of integrated community-led development solutions to eradicate poverty and reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through representing FXB in coalitions of International Non-Governmental Organizations and engaging in the global development dialogue;
- Striving to identify program innovations, and connecting to program partners;
- Providing evidence-based technical assistance on program design, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and communication;
- Mobilizing resources to make strategic investments in FXB programs around the world; and
- Leading the FXBVillage programs in Colombia and Panama.
To do so, FXB USA aims to engage governments, foundations, and corporations in making a difference for the most vulnerable communities. One key partnership is with the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights at Harvard University (FXB Center), the only university-wide human rights center promoting the advancement of cross-disciplinary research and policy.
Within the FXB USA sphere of organizations are the FXB Building at the Department of Aerospace Engineering at University of Michigan and the endowed FXB Chair in Pediatric Allergy, Immunology and Infectious Diseases established at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, USA (now Rutgers). (http://usa.fxb.org/history/)
Executive Director Job Description
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for providing vision, strategic direction, leadership, and day-to-day management to FXB USA. The ED is charged with ensuring the mobilization and growth of financial resources to sustain FXB USA.
Working closely with the Board and FXB staff in Geneva and Paris, you will identify and execute annual goals designed to achieve FXB USA’s short- and long-term strategic priorities. In the short-term, you will to secure donors for FXB’s programs in Colombia and Panama and develop a broad donor base to expand our programmatic presence in Latin America. In the long-term, you will help FXB USA to become a self-sustaining social enterprise that furthers FXB’s organizational mission and generates revenue. You will use creativity and innovation to reposition FXB USA in a way that allows it to be financially sound while pursuing FXB’s broader mission of poverty eradication.
- Provide day-to-day leadership, oversight and direction, set clear and attainable objectives for FXB USA’s staff and interns, and evaluate job performance accordingly.
- Establish appropriate fundraising plans with the Boards of Directors and staff of FXB entities in Europe
- Oversee and support the active engagement of FXB USA Board members and collaborate with the Board in defining the strategic direction and priorities.
- Liaise with FXB entities in the United States such as the FXB Center at Harvard, FXB Center at the University of Michigan, and FXB Center at Rutgers University.
- Identify and cultivate potential donors, working jointly with FXB entities in Europe
- Lead fundraising and development efforts to diversify funding streams to support existing program operations and expand program capacity.
- Build funding partnerships with corporations to support FXB’s work worldwide.
- Cultivate opportunities for generating revenue that harness FXB’s capacities.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong board. Serve as ex-officio non-voting member of the board.
- Strengthen board involvement to ensure long-term success and viability.
- Recruit new board members and volunteers.
- Serve as an effective ambassador to external audiences in all spheres of interest for FXB operations (UN, Permanent Missions, donors, universities, foundations, etc.)
- Analyze and report key global development topics discussed at the United Nations, World, International Non-Governmental Organizations, and other key institutions in the development sector.
- Effectively communicate goals and outcomes to the board, funders, and other partners.
- Activate a donor-base from FXB USA’s social media platforms.
- Develop marketing materials to effectively communicate FXB’s value proposition.
- Raise FXB USA’s visibility as a leader in global development.
You are an entrepreneur who is passionate about FXB’s mission, knowledgeable about global development, and an experienced and financially savvy fundraiser.
- Self-starter who can work independently on a variety of projects and tasks with limited supervision and guidance.
- Experience with setting up programs and/or public policy advocacy.
- Strong leadership and entrepreneurial spirit, skills and qualities.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors; ability and motivation to cultivate board member relationships.
- Exceptional speaking, writing, and presentation skills.
- Team spirit and creativity in order to collaborate with FXB France, FXB Switzerland, FXB Center at Harvard, FXB Center at University of Michigan, and FXB Center at Rutgers University.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10 years of management experience; track record of effectively leading a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff.
- 5 or more years of private sector and/or social enterprise experience with focus on business development.
- Ability to work in French (read and understand documents and conduct basic conversation)
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of partners.
- Stellar financial and business insight.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
References: 2 professional references will be requested
Equal Opportunity Statement: We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.
To apply: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 26, 2017
1. Support the creation of a campaign pitch, overview, and content to be featured on the FXB’s campaign page.
2. Develop list of organizations and individuals potentially interested in poverty alleviation in Colombia and Latin America
3. Develop and distribute marketing material, communicate through social media to blogs, news media, organizations and individuals.
1. Conduct research on potential individuals, corporations, and foundations donors to fund FXB’s programs
2. Identify, analyze and annotate these opportunities, ranking them by priority
3. Assist in preparing materials for donor meetings
You’ll collaborate on the best strategy, content, branding and activities that increase engagement among the FXB USA’s social media community.
You’ll bring our social media and community strategy to life by interacting with our audience on our social channels. You’re a great candidate for this role if you love digital media & technology and want to empower the world’s most vulnerable communities.
1. Content creation: Develop engaging copy, monitor daily posts, moderate conversations and create campaigns on various social media outlets.
2. Social media marketing: Create, manage and grow FXB USA’s presence through regular blogs, Twitter, Facebook and other strategically relevant online properties.
3. Reporting: Track and report on key metrics across social channels and use findings to maximize engagement opportunities.
4. Maintain FXB USA’s brand voice and culture in all social media communication.
Santa Ana Lidera, Panama’s pioneering collective impact initiative, is looking for a passionate and creative Communications Intern. For the first time, a group of four international and local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are collaborating to transform Panama City’s Santa Ana, a historical community undergoing rapid changes, in two years through coordinated social services and community empowerment.
Santa Ana Lidera tackles deeply-rooted forms of exclusion through targeted programs to help the most vulnerable residents while simultaneously training community leaders using a methodology established by the MIT Community Innovators Lab to activate grassroots social change and engage in constructive dialogue with the public and private sectors.
Santa Ana Lidera is the forefront of social change in Latin America and is funded primarily by the US Embassy in Panama, among other donors. Learn more about Santa Ana Lidera initiative here!
About the Communications Internship
We are looking for a Communications Intern who is passionate about social change communications and collective impact to engage diverse audiences such as program partners, donors, government agencies, and individuals in Latin America and the United States with Santa Ana Lidera’s mission and impact. Spanish fluency is important but not necessary.
FXB USA is one of the four NGOs that form part of the Santa Ana Lidera initiative. Although the program is in Panama, FXB USA will be spearheading Santa Ana Lidera’s social media and communications from our office in New York City. In addition to working closely with the implementation team in Panama, you will be supervised by FXB USA’s team located in New York City.
As the Communications Intern, you will amplify how the Santa Ana community is leading the way in taking ownership of its community and improving it through grassroots action. Through creative digital and print content on social media platforms, you will help position Santa Ana Lidera as a one of a kind initiative that brings together community leaders, private sector, government and civil society organizations. You will share authentic and compelling program participant stories that will move hearts and minds of individuals and organizations to garner program funding.
• Social media marketing: Create, manage and grow Santa Ana Lidera’s digital presence through email marketing, newsletters, Twitter, Facebook and other strategically relevant online properties.
• Storytelling: Transform program participants stories into dynamic multimedia content for social media platforms
• Thought leadership: Craft blog posts about Santa Ana Lidera’s progress and the issues the organizations are working on such as poverty alleviation, youth development, community development, etc.
• Reporting: Track and report on key metrics across social channels and use findings to maximize engagement opportunities.
• A creative self-starter who takes initiative and can work with minimal supervision
• Knowledge of keynote, piktochart, illustrator or other visualization tools strongly preferred
• Relevant graduate or undergraduate experience in communications, public administration/affairs, international affairs, and/or nonprofit management
• Excellent verbal skills for clear communication (reading/writing)
• Bilingual: Spanish and English
To apply: Please submit CV and cover letter to Karina Weinstein, FXB USA Program Director, email@example.com
Timeframe: October 2017-July 2018
Time Commitment: 10-20 hours/week. FXB USA’s office (85 Broad Street, 17th floor, NY, NY 10004) or remotely.
Internship is unpaid
1. Stakeholder mapping: Identify relevant stakeholders (NGOs, online portals, governments, social entrepreneurship community, university student groups, funders, researchers, policy makers) who could benefit from accessing the FXBVillage Toolkit and Planning Guide.
2. Partnership strategy development: Develop and implement partnership strategies for wide dissemination and adoption of the FXBVillage Toolkit and Planning Guide.
3. Reporting: Track Toolkit downloads and follow-up with individuals.
Pro Bono services
FXB USA may require technical expertise in a particular area such as human resource management and information technology, for example.
If you have technical expertise and would like to offer your services pro bono, please submit a CV and a cover letter stating the following:
- Your interest in FXB
- Your technical expertise and background
- The number of hours you would be willing to work
- The times of day for which you would be available