Last Revised: March 2, 2016
What Is “Personal Information”?
As used herein, the term “personal information” means only information that specifically identifies an individual (such as a name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, or credit card number) and information about that individual or his or her activities that is directly linked to such personal information. Personal information does not include “aggregate” information, which is data we collect about the use of the Sites or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate information.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Active Collection: Personal information may be collected in a number of ways when you visit the Sites. We collect certain information that you voluntarily provide to us, such as when you create an account or a profile, make a donation, send us an email or sign up to receive email or text message updates, fill out a form, connect through a social feed, or sign up to be a volunteer or host an event. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, geographic location, and credit card information. We may also collect demographic information that you may voluntarily provide from time to time, such as in response to questionnaires and surveys. If this information is tied to personal information, it will be treated as personal information. Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information in connection with creating a profile or group, leaving comments, posting blog comments or other content, sending an email or message to another user, or participating in any interactive forums or features on the Sites. In addition, from time to time we may collect demographic, contact or other personal information you provide in connection with your participation in surveys, contests, games, promotions, and other activities on the Sites. We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect on the Sites.
Passive Collection: When you use the Sites, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring website, and your activity on the Sites. If you access the Sites from a mobile device, we may also collect information about the type of mobile device you use, the type of mobile Internet browsers you use, and information about the location of your device (for information about how to opt-out of this data collection, please see “What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?” below). We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of “cookies” or web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve the Sites and your experience. Information obtained from cookies and linked to personal information is treated as personal information. If you wish to block, erase, or be warned of cookies, please refer to your browser manufacturer to learn about these functions. When you view a video on the Sites, a third party may also set a “Flash cookie” on your computer. Removing and rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third party Flash cookies used in connection with the Sites. To delete or disable Flash cookies, please visit http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security for more information. However, if you choose to remove or reject browser or Flash cookies, this could affect certain features on the Sites. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on the Sites or in emails relating to the Sites to collect certain information about usage and effectiveness and monitor user activity on the Sites.
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We do not rent or sell personal information. We use personal information collected through the Sites for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the Sites. For example, we may use personal information we collect:
- to provide the services, products, or information that you request, and to process and complete such requests and any related transactions;
- to send you confirmations, receipts, updates, alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Sites;
- to notify you about important changes to the Sites;
- to send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products, and services;
- to connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers, donations and support for FXB USA issues and organizations that we support;
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Sites;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests, and to provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Sites and our users’ experiences on the Sites;
- to serve ads, on the Sites or other websites or media, based on the information you provide and the actions you take;
- to notify and contact contest and sweepstakes entrants; and
- for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
We may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
It is our policy not to share the personal information which we collect from you through the Sites with third parties, except as described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed on the Sites. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers or volunteers who are engaged by or working with us and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us (such vendors, consultants, and other service providers or volunteers have agreed to safeguard personal information in a like manner as outlined in this Policy);
- with organizations, groups, or causes that we believe have similar viewpoints, principles, or objectives;
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Sites, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and that you provide such information;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims, or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- when we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property, or safety of FXB USA, our users, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties, or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of the Sites;
- to enforce or apply this Policy, or our other policies or agreements; and
We are not responsible for the actions of any service providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information which you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
When you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state, or local leaders, or to the press.
You understand that when you use the Sites, information that you post in profiles, blogs, forums, and other interactive areas of the Sites, as well as any information you share with individuals through the Sites or share through social network sites, will be available to other users and, in some cases, may be publicly available. In addition, when you sign up and create an account, certain information regarding actions that you take through the Sites, such as joining a group, may be available to other users and, in some cases, may be publicly available. We recommend that you be cautious about giving out personal information to others or sharing personal information in public or private online forums. We are not responsible for the actions of any third parties with whom you share personal information. In some cases, there may be privacy setting available regarding the information available to others, and we suggest that you take time to familiarize yourself with these options and utilize these settings.
Links to Other Websites
Our Commitment to Data Integrity
We process personal information only in ways compatible with the purpose for which it was collected. If you wish to update or correct your personal information, please contact us.
We take reasonable and appropriate measures to maintain the confidentiality and integrity, and prevent the unauthorized use or disclosure, of personal information. This includes maintaining a system of appropriate administrative, physical, and technical safeguards to secure such information.
What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information Online?
We maintain commercially reasonable standards of confidentiality and security for the Sites using industry standard technology to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You may “opt out” of receiving email updates and newsletters by following the instructions in those emails. Please note that we may still send you other types of emails, such as emails about your use of the Sites, or use information as otherwise described in this Policy, even if you opt out of receiving email updates and newsletters.
Questions and Communications
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please know that we appreciate hearing from you. However, in your communications with us, please keep in mind that any communication or material you transmit to the Sites by electronic email or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, creative suggestions, ideas, concepts, products, marketing or promotional plans or strategies, or anything of the like shall be deemed and shall remain the exclusive property of FXB USA. For this reason, we ask that you not send us any communication or material that you do not wish to assign to us.